Now that the holiday season is finally behind us, I want to wish everyone a happy and healthy 2014 and may you accomplish all your goals. This is the year for a new you. And speaking of the new years I want to start it off by sharing a simple and healthy recipe. One of my favourite, delicious, and simplest recipes I enjoy is banana bread. It is a classic recipe that is easy to whip up especially when you have those unexpected guests that turn up to your house. This recipe also has a personal story behind it.
About 5 yrs ago, my uncle who now in his 70’s on my dad’s side was diagnosed with a severe type 2 diabetes. This means that his body does not produce enough insulin to maintain a normal glucose (sugar) level in his body. He has to wear a monitor at his waist that tracks his blood sugar level and he has to prick his finger with a needle for a blood sample before every meal to monitor his level. If his blood sugar level is too high it could cause serious health effects. This made me realize that more and more people are developing diabetes at an increasingly younger age especially children. It is mainly due fact that we live in a society that promotes the consumption of junk food which all have a high sugar content.
My uncle has now become a more health conscious person and is cooking healthier meals. And this prompted me to be more aware of my daily food intake and I am trying to exercise more (at least 3x a week) and eat healthier more often which is my goal for 2014. My uncle recently passed on a very simple, healthy banana bread recipe to my dad who told me I should try it. I have posted a recipe for bread bread before (link can be found below) but I believe that the recipe my uncle recommended is a much better one since the outcome is a softer and more moist bread due to the addition of milk in the recipe.
Here’s to a healthier 2014!!
Luscious & Healthy Banana Bread
- 3/4 cup of sugar (or Splenda for diabetics)
- 1/2 of butter or margarine softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mash ripe bananas (approx. 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl beat sugar and butter together with a whisk until light and fluffy. Next beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in bananas, milk, and vanilla until well blended.
3. In a smaller bowl, mix flour, nuts, baking soda, and salt. Add them to the banana mix all at once and stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. Pour into loaf pan.
4. Bake in oven for 50-60min or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle and the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan setting it on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes- 1 hour so that the air can circulate around it and dry off any excess moisture. Sit back and enjoy the moist healthy banana bread! You can wrap the left over in cling film and leave on kitchen counter or for longer self life put in the fridge and it will last for a week and a half.
*You can substitute the mashed bananas for one cup of applesauce to make applesauce bread.
* Instead of the chopped nuts, cranberries are a nice substitution because of their nice sweet and tart flavour which pairs well with the bananas.
Link to my first banana bread recipe: Bananas Gone Wild Bread